Dr Nasiru Sani Gwarzo, leader of the Presidential Task Force Committee on COVID-19, has said that the novel Coronavirus is responsible for people dropping dead in Kano state in recent times.
The state has recorded an unusual increase in deaths since it recorded its first coronavirus case in April. Abdullahi Ganduje, the governor, had denied that the deaths were linked to COVID-19, saying investigation was ongoing.
He also announced that after consultation with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), the government had agreed on “verbal autopsy” to ascertain the cause of the deaths. But speaking with reporters in Kano on Sunday, Gwarzo, who also lost his father during the period that Kano recorded a high number of deaths
Gwarzo who disclosed this to newsmen on Sunday May 3rd, said tests carried out so far, established that COVID-19 was the cause of the mass deaths.
“Let me inform us that most of the deaths recorded of recent and test carried out showed that coronavirus was the cause. So, before the final report which would be ready in the next one week or few days, it is necessary for people of Kano to wake up from their slumber that this is a serious issue.
We need to know what is happening. We are successful in identifying what the problems are and secondly we are happy on the level of cooperation from the private sector and other stake holders. Many people have come out to support the state. We cannot expand our investigation until we are certain.
We have five cogent reasons to say that the mass death recorded in Kano is associated with coronavirus” he said.
There have been concerns about the COVID-19 cases and the increasing deaths in the state. President Buhari last week, gave a matching order to the Gwarzo-led Presidential Task Force to unravel the cause of the mysterious deaths in Kano and also to contain the spread of the virus in the state.